Have you been frequently scratching your head lately due to scalp acne? I understand how annoying the feeling is. I’ve been there before and I was even starting to get frustrated after trying all possible treatments I know of, and yet I couldn’t get rid any of it.
Then it hit me! Maybe this is the right time for a change – change of shampoo!
So I started switching my chemical shampoo with the most natural shampoo I found that claims they can help me with my scalp problems and finally, I have found the best shampoo for scalp acne and this is what I’m about to share with you today.
Are you ready to make that shampoo switch challenge? Then please keep on reading below my recommendations and we will put that scalp acne to history.
What’s The Reason Behind Your Scalp Acne?
Now to give you a little bit of a background, let us first answer some questions. What is really the reason behind your scalp acne? Why do we have it?
- Hormones. Often, scalp acne is triggered by hormones. Those who are going through the stage of puberty at the moment are more susceptible and vulnerable to acne problems.
- Poor scalp hygiene. Every time you are not washing your hair properly or not washing it enough, dirt will start accumulating which will then clog your pores. But take note that washing too much can be bad too.
- Using hair products like wax and sprays. I understand that some of you can’t imagine living a life without these hair products, like gels, pomades or hair sprays. But can you imagine the chemical building up in your scalp? You will only be inviting for trouble if you already have a scalp that’s prone to acne. Some even reported that leaving conditioner in their hair overnight gave them scalp acne.
- Weather. When the weather gets hot and humid, you might feel the need of using a cap, a hat or a scarf which is not good for your scalp acne condition. This is because bacteria can be trapped in your hair follicles and pores that will lead to inflammation. Your immune system will also respond by means of swelling pustules.
What to Look for a Shampoo?
In order for you to know how effective the shampoo is or if what they are claiming is true, then you need to check out its main ingredients. In this way, you will be able to determine how the shampoo will be treating your scalp acne.
1. Salicylic acid
Salicylic acid comes with several beauty benefits. What’s great about salicylic acid is that it can be considered as a super ingredient for several purposes.
First of all, it can act as the cleaning agent by breaking apart and loosening desmosomes to promote and encourage your scalp from exfoliating. Also, salicylic acid is helpful in minimizing sebum secretion.
It can help you fight your battle with dandruff too which is the main reason why sloughing off of skin cells will slow down. But what’s important is that a salicylic acid is a form of beta hydroxyl acid and this plays the major role to get rid of acne.
2. Tea Tree Oil
There are so many skincare and beauty products like facial wash and soap that is currently using this ingredient. This is because tea tree oil has been proven to be notorious when it comes to solving problems like eczema. What’s more, it also plays an important role to help you with your scalp acne.
First, tea tree oil is composed of numerous antibacterial properties so it is capable of solving flaky and dry skin. In addition to that, it can help you with your dandruff problems.
Tea tree oil is very similar to how benzoyl peroxide acts, but without all the negative side effects that often come with it like redness of the skin or peeling off.
Here’s another natural and pure active ingredient that can help you with your scalp acne problems as well as fighting off other bacteria. What’s great about zinc is that it gives your scalp heavy protection from dirt and serves and cleaning agent too.
It can also help you control and regulate the production of sebum in your scalp. We already know the overproduction of sebum largely contributes to acne manifestation.
In general, the best shampoo for scalp acne should have a great capability of stopping overproduction of excess oil and at the same time without drying out the scalp.
Five of the Best Shampoo to Help You With Your Scalp Acne
100% Pure Burdock and Neem Healthy Scalp Shampoo
This 8-oz bottle of Pure Burdock and Neem Healthy Scalp Shampoo by 100% is filled with all-natural ingredients that can help you restore the health of your scalp.
I like how this shampoo does not contain any preservatives, fragrances, foaming agents, detergents and whatever harsh chemicals that might only be harmful to your hair and scalp. Most of these horrible chemicals are the very reason for your acne and dermatitis, in the first place. Users of this shampoo reported that their acne, dryness, irritation went away after switching to this all-natural shampoo.
I’m also impressed that Rose hydrosol and Aloe Vera are the main ingredients of this shampoo while Neem, Green Tea, Burdock, Calendula, Rosemary, and Nettle are the key herbal ingredients. These ingredients can help you purify, detoxify, soothe and clarify your scalp since it comes with antibacterial, antimicrobial, regenerating and healing properties. Take note that tea tree oil has been popular for its powerful anti-acne properties. I also noticed that there’s salt in the list of ingredients, which is a good thing since it draws out buildup and impurities from your scalp.
What’s, even more, is that this shampoo won’t mess up with your hair colors. Though you have to be patient since your hair and scalp will have to go through a period of adjustment. You will notice your hair will be vulnerable to tangles and be like a broom. But don’t worry, it will find its way back to normal!
- Ingredients are 100% Natural and don’t contain any harsh chemicals that might cause scalp acne
- Your scalp will benefit from several herbal extracts
- You will need some time to adjust to its natural formula
Desert Essence Organic Pure Shampoo Fragrance-Free
Here’s another shampoo that has been safely formulated to be unscented to help anyone that has a sensitive scalp to fragrances. Users of Desert Essence Organic Pure Shampoo have been reporting positive reports on how the product has helped their sensitive, acne-prone, allergic scalp.
One of its main ingredients is the willow bark which produces natural salicylic acid that addresses several causes of acne. This means this shampoo will help you unclog pores, regulate sebum, clears any buildup of dead skin cell as well as minimize inflammation, irritation and of course acne.
Moreover, it is an aloe vera based shampoo so it is soothing to the scalp. I’m also impressed with the number of plant extracts found in this product like Green Tea, Macca, Kelp, and Yuca. These essentials have mineral, nutrients, and vitamins that are nourishing to your scalp to deplete your problematic and acne-prone scalp.
- Includes blend of natural and organic ingredients
- Helps you prevent probable hair loss
- Uses elements like jojoba and lemon essential oil
- Controls the oil production of your hair
- Can leave your hair in tangles
- May take more days before it works
- It has citric acid which can make your hair dry
Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo
Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo has the gentlest formula among the shampoo I have tried. This is why this shampoo has become one of my favorites. I like how it helps me fight off scalp build up as well as scalp acne by breaking down any bacteria or dirt that can likely cause acne to your scalp.
Salicylic acid is among its main fighting ingredients and we all know how notorious this acid is when it comes solving scalp acne. Furthermore, salicylic is also a cleansing agent which promotes exfoliation both in your hair and scalp; so the product can help you fight dandruff too as well as relieves any symptoms you might experience like flaking and itching.
You will also be impressed to know that this shampoo does not come with any irritants such as color or fragrances that can be harmful to your scalp.
- Use salicylic as its main fighting agent
- Eliminates scalp build
- Helps eliminate dandruff
- Comes out into a pleasant foamy lather
- It leaves an unpleasant scent
Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo, Organic and 100% Natural for All Hair Types
Gentle formula has saponified oils of olives, sunflower, and coconut, has no artificial fillers added and with regenerating and soothing benefits of Shea Butter, Rosemary and Aloe Vera – now that’s something for a shampoo.
I just simply love Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo for its delicate and harmless formula making it ideal for anyone with sensitive hair and scalp. This shampoo comes with an all-natural formula to solve most of your scalp problems like acne, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, allergies and scalp sensitivity.
Plus its ingredients don’t include any essential oils and synthetic fragrances. If you are a vegan, you will be glad to know that it is soy and gluten free and comes in bottles that are BPA-free.
- Ingredients are all natural
- Safe for vegan users
- It felt too drying for some users
EDEN BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Clear Shampoo
What’s great about EDEN BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Clear Shampoo is that it does not only treat your scalp but you will also get this cooling and refreshing effect after a shower. This is because this shampoo efficiently combined peppermint oil as well as tea tree which is soothing to the scalp and leave a cool feeling. Plus, if you are struggling with irritation of itchiness, these ingredients would surely help.
Another advantage of this shampoo is that it is deeply moisturizing. Once you start using this product, you will notice your hair getting softer, healthier and smoother. Well, of course, minus the too much product of excess oil which is not healthy.
So if you have a bit sensitive skin, then this shampoo is highly recommended to you.
- Cool and refreshing feeling after use
- Deeply moisturizes the hair
- A good combination of peppermint oil and tea tree oil
- It takes sometime before it works
Additional Tips on How to Address Scalp Acne
I’ve listed down below some tips below the common methods on how to deal with your scalp acne. Check them out!
1. Wash your hair regularly. Make sure that you wash your hair regularly, especially after you are done working out or after any activity that made you sweat a lot. Do your best to keep the scalp clean all the time.
2. Do not wear head gears if possible. Stop wearing hats, scarfs or anything that can make your head seat out until your acne comes under control. The sweat can create a perfect breeding ground for bacteria which can quickly get into your hair follicles.
3. Never pick your scalp pimples. This will not be helpful to your scalp problems, instead, you will only be spreading the bacteria into a larger area. Just in case you scratch your pimple accidentally, make sure that you apply some topical antibiotic immediately stop the infection from spreading.
So there you have it, five of the best shampoo for scalp acne. I hope these products will be able to help you fight off your annoying scalp acne.
I highly recommend 100% Pure Burdock and Neem Healthy Scalp Shampoo because of it’s all natural ingredients that can help you purify, detoxify, soothe and clarify your scalp. Plus, it comes with antibacterial, antimicrobial, regenerating and healing properties.
How about you? Which among the products do you think would work best for your scalp problems? Let me know in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends too!